Ever wondered what the consequences might be if Google goes down for 30 minutes? Well, we will be going to discuss about that in this post.
In August 2013, Google and all of its services came down briefly for 2-3 mins. And the whole internet traffic went down by a massive 40%.
A similar incident also occurred in May 2009.
Note that it was just for 2 mins. Imagine 30 mins. It’s highly unlikely but here is what I think will happen –
- First few mins people will check their internet connection. Some will even call their Service Provider. Some may even check for hardware failures on their side – which is still more likely than 30 min outage
- People will then realise that it’s true. There will be a period of disbelief. People will desperately try to reload google’s homepage.
- People all around the world will start taking screenshots of the Google Server Error Page. [Likely 500]
- Your Facebook Newsfeed will be full of “OMG Can’t believe”, “I witnessed something astonishing” along with several images from previous point.
- People will search for alternate search engine – but how ? Most of them don’t even know that there are alternate search engines 😛
- Bing and Yahoo will get huge traffic surge.
- DuckDuckGo( ) will start trending on Twitter. People will realise it’s good. (That’s a search engine that doesn’t track you BTW)
- Many other internet apps – that uses Google Services in backend will also come down. Without GMAIL for 30 mins the productivity across the whole world will drop by a huge margin.
- I can’t even imagine the Revenue Loss – not just for Google but for all the companies throughout the world that uses Google.
- Android users will be stranded on the roads and iPhone users will be lost in the lanes if Google Maps stopped working for 30mins
- Among all this fiasco Internet life in China will remain unaffected.
- People at other competitive companies will enjoy and sing songs 😛 (Meant to be a joke)
After the outage is fixed and services are restored:
- Google will release their statement to press – explaining the cause (may be)
- Tech Savvy people around the world will try to dig deep in search for the cause of outage.
- Many will speculate that a group of Hackers are responsible. People will then approach many Hackers regarding their opinion
- Media will go crazy. They will call experts and try to analyse situation themselves.
- Many bloggers will write post about “How we are too dependent on Google? – A reality check”. Even Media will do it
- Quora would be full of questions – “Why did it happen ?”, “What do you think about the outage ?”, “Can it happen again ?”, “Was my data leaked?”, “Is it true that Google was hacked ?”, etc.
- A lot of users will switch from Google services to alternates.
- BuzzFeed and ScoopWhoop will have articles like “Google went down for 30 minutes. You won’t believe what happened next.” and “10 things to do when Google goes down the next time” *.
- People will find this answer and realize that many of it is actually happening 😛 (Again, meant to be a joke)
Time For Indian Version!
Let us first confront the reality that this is a possibility. I am assuming that such a ban will be enforced by Supreme Court because government simply cannot do it. I am also assuming that all Google services and Google owned products will be banned with an immediate effect without prior notice. So here is my take on immediate reaction:
- Rahul Gandhi will try to blame Modi government for it but will end up trolling himself
- Meanwhile some politicians will go on hunger strike and ask the government to lift the ban.
- Indecent words will be spoken in Lok Sabha accompanied by loud thumping of table
- Sundar Pichai will receive enormous amount of media attention. He will probably make an statement. People will ask him to resign.
- and will receive huge traffic from India and they will be very happy about it.
- Life of most Indians will be disrupted and almost everyone will suffer.
- Needless to say Twitter and Facebook will be full of posts about this ban.
- Porn traffic will decline steeply.
- Uber, Ola and other services using Google Map service will all stop working. Regular taxi fares will suddenly jump.
- People won’t know what to do with their computers anymore. Internet Service Providers will receive huge number of false complaints that the customer’s internet is not working.
Here is the aftermath :
- Google will suffer from huge financial loss. They will have to close their Indian offices.
- AIB will make a video titled “India reacts to ban of Google” and that will be funny. But wait where will they upload ? No YouTube. HotStar !
- Indian Media will go crazy and run reports about conspiracy behind the ban.
- At least 10 new startups will come up with Indian version of Google. Most CEOs will be ex-Googlers. There might be names like “Khoj” (Hindi for Search), “Tehkiqat” (Hindi for Investigation), “ “, etc. There will be startups to replicate Google Docs, YouTube, Gmail, etc too.
- “Google ban in India” will become the most queried phrase on Google globally.
- The hype around Google hiring IITians will finally go away.
- International investors looking for investment in Indian tech scene will pull off.
You can find more interesting posts here